:

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.jeremycwilson.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Jul 23, 2009

Never Eat Alone







A former colleague recently recommended the book "Never Eat Alone" by Keith Ferrazzi. My colleague recently read the book, and he told me that my style and background reminded him a lot of Keith. I picked up the book about two weeks ago and just finished reading. It's definitely a good read and is very relevant for those in the MBA world.

In the book, Keith lays out the specific steps he uses to connect and stay in contact with others—friends, colleagues, family, and associates. He basically sees the world around him as a place that should be based on generosity, where he helps friends, helps people connect with each other, rather than networking for personal gain.

I enjoy his approaches and theories about networking and 100% agree with the emphasis he places on it. But whether or not you agree with his philosophies, I think the topic is very relevant for all of us MBA applicants/admits/students. In MBA programs, students’ schedules are jam packed 7 days a week--studying for class, practicing cases, attending speakers events, meeting with professors, planning student events, on trips with classmates, prepping for interviews, and attending networking events. We will all interact with thousands of different people in a 2-year span. And if you're on your game, this process begins well before we ever set foot in our first class.

As such, I think it’s important to think about what you want to get out of those interactions. Perhaps you want to run for a specific club leadership role or maybe student government. Perhaps, you want to meet everyone in a certain company or industry or maybe just find the right colleague who can prep us for a job interview. Perhaps you want to make sure you have a huge network after school or maybe even just have a really good time there. Maybe you want to do all of that. No matter what your goals are, making friends and contacts is an important part of school.

We don’t all have to be power networkers, but I think it’s important that we figure out how we want to balance our networking energies and schedules with everything else. And while most of us will have some preconceptions about our strategies going in, I suspect it will be a lot of learning as we go. One thing I do know though, is that once my program begins, I don’t plan on eating alone too many times.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At July 24, 2009 at 10:04 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post Jeremy! I'm going to add this book to my summer reading list!
-Blanche

 
At July 24, 2009 at 11:53 AM , Blogger Jeremy C Wilson said...

Thanks BB and let me know what you think of it. I'm going to send you an email about this too. Stay tuned.

 
At July 25, 2009 at 4:00 PM , Blogger Bellepic said...

Righteous post, and yes, you remind me a bit of Ferrazzi, too. Not in 100% agreement about the book itself... Amazon review.

Agree with you that it is critical to be circumspect about how and with whom we choose to spend our time. It helps us be resilient in difficult interactions, while also helping us to prioritize the many claims upon our time.

One of the trickiest challenges I've found is identifying activities I do resentfully out of a vague sense of obligation. After facing the fact I feel obliged and resentful, I've often found ways to reach a better outcome for both myself and other parties involved by understanding and advocating for my interests in a constructive way.

If you haven't already, you may want to check out negotiation literature (i.e. Getting to Yes and Difficult Conversations) for more tips on defining and championing your interests... Provided you feel this is a valuable way to spend your time ;)

 
At July 26, 2009 at 8:55 AM , Blogger Jeremy C Wilson said...

M!NU5--thanks for the insightful comment! And I agree, two great books!! I've read Getting to Yes and the other is still on my To Do list.

 
At July 27, 2009 at 9:11 PM , Blogger Windsor said...

Right on! What a great post. Business school would be much less valuable or rewarding without this mindset.

 
At July 28, 2009 at 3:53 AM , Blogger Dino said...

Let's do lunch ;-)

 
At July 28, 2009 at 11:19 AM , Blogger Jeremy C Wilson said...

haha, yeah definitely!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home