:

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.jeremycwilson.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Jul 21, 2009

Last Day of My Summer Internship at the Attorney General's Office

To gain some exposure in business and law before beginning my JD-MBA program this fall, I've been clerking at the Attorney General's office. I began there in May, and today was my last day in the office. I also looked into business jobs, but since I've been in the consulting industry for the past 3.5 years I thought a legal internship would be more useful, especially since I want to explore the legal profession while in school.

In my internship I had the chance to work with the Community Services Division, the Consumer Information Division, and the Executive Office--where I spent the majority of my time. It's been a great way to learn broadly about the work the AG does. Being in the executive office has also been a lot of fun. A few weeks ago, the Attorney General had a going away party for one of workers at his house. It was a nice event, and I got to really talk with the Attorneys on a personal level. I've also had the chance to help manage the press in our office, to have a Q&A with a Supreme Court Justice, and to help orchestrate a meeting with the AG and Obama's newly elected "Border Czar" (Assistant Secretary of Homeland Security).

Aside from the obvious learning and networking benefits, I also think my experience will give me a heads up on recruiting in the program. While many law students pursue government or legal aid positions after their first year, I'll have the experience to be able to explore other types of work since I've already done that. I definitely recommend that everyone try to get a good summer experience before going off to school--whether business or law--to set you apart in your graduate school career search.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home