:

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.jeremycwilson.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Jul 2, 2009

Bain & Co Diversity Weekend

I just got back from a trip to NYC a couple of hours ago. The trip was a lot of fun, but I ‘m definitely exhausted. I went to attend Bain & Company’s Pre-MBA Summer Diversity Program for first-year MBA students. The event was on Tuesday, June 30 from 8am until about 7pm. While some people might consider 11 hours of non-stop sessions to be a long day, after being in MLT for a year, this event felt like a breeze.

I applied to the Bain Program, because I intend to apply for jobs at the big three consulting firms (Bain, BCG, Mckinsey). The program was basically framed as a one-day event intended to give us an introduction to the industry and to Bain specifically so that we can apply once school begins. I suspect it was also a good way for Bain to profile prospective candidates. Like a lot of recent b-school events, I knew quite a few of the attendees from MLT. I can’t say enough about the power of that network. I also have to give a big shout out to my Kellogg cohort. They were definitely the most-represented school at the event

As it turns out, I liked the “Bainies” a lot. They were nice, smart, had impressive backgrounds, and were really open to teaching us about how to get into the firm. There were quite a few consultants there, from post-MBA consultant all the way up to Senior Director level. Here are some of the highlights from the event.

Tiffany (Bain’s Sr. Manager of Diversity Recruiting) and Bill (whose late name I didn't catch, but he was the head of the NYC office) kicked off the event with some opening remarks. They introduced the first speaker, Russ Hagley, who is Bain's Chief Talent Officer. Bain emphasized the fact that they had a Chief Talent Officer and that they were serious about getting good people at the firm and about having us there. This was the point where Bain did a good job at differentiating themselves from the other firms. Aside from the CTO position, Russ talked about how Bain was a not only a strategy company but also worked through the implementation of that strategy. He gave a few other similar examples (entrepreneurship, data-driven, etc)

Another high point of the day was the Interview Skills Workshop given by Keith Bevans. Keith has spent his entire career at Bain and was a energizing public speaker. He gave a lot of advice about doing cases and then walked us through an actual case.

We had a working lunch, where we did a group case interview workshop. We broke up into teams of about six and spent 90 minutes or so going over a case question that comes up in real Bain interviews. I felt really comfortable in the scenario, but I still feel like I have tons of practicing ahead to compete for a spot at Bain. Right after our case, Alok Desphande (Bain Manager) facilitated a session summing up thoughts on the workshop. He was a really sharp guy, and gave good insight to our comments. I made a point to talk with him later in the day.

Later, the CFO of Bad Boy Entertainment, Derek Ferguson (a former Bain Manager), gave the keynote address. It was late in the day, so to keep our attention he gave us trivia and rewarded correct answers with Bad Boy CDs. He was definitely a hit, though I did find one girl who had no idea who Bad Boy was. Toward the end of the day was the consultant panel, where which 6 current Bain consultants shared their experiences getting into Bain and working there. It was pretty amazing how sharp they were. Of the group, 2 were HBS grads, 1 Booth grad and 1 Wharton grad.

Mark Howorth, a senior Director gave the closing remarks. He had a great point at the end of his speech, when he said as a next step, we need to go to school and do well!! He emphasized the importance of getting a good academic experience and learning the fundamentals rather than trying to force fit or schmooze our way into jobs.

After his closing remarks, Tiffany Showell quickly wrapped up the session, and there was a cocktail hour for us to interact with the Bainies. We were able to talk to lots of consultants and get pretty pointed advice. There was also a free wine bar, which was pretty clutch. At the reception, I met up with a good friend Robin Lamb who’s a consultant in the NYC office. He graduated from Stanford a few years before I did. I definitely intend to chat with Robin once I'm getting ready to go through recruiting for my second summer in the JD-MBA program. I’m sure he’ll be a great help, just as he was for me in the b-school process.

I definitely recommend the Bain event for those who might consider going in future years.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At July 5, 2009 at 10:33 PM , Blogger BH said...

Thanks for the summary. Very helpful.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home