:

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.jeremycwilson.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Jun 16, 2009

Why Kellogg

I recently got an email from someone interested in applying to the JD-MBA program. She sent a couple of questions, including "Why Northwestern?" I'll take a stab at answering the question below.

--------

So when I tell people I'm headed to Northwestern's JD-MBA program, I usually get three different responses: (i) Congratulations! (ii) Why Kellogg/Northwestern? and (iii) Why a JD and an MBA?

What I've learned about going through this process and answering these questions is that choosing a business school is no easy feat. The are a number of top programs out there that will help you accomplish your career goals. I had the good fortune of being part of Management Leadership for Tomorrow (MLT) as an applicant. MLT focuses on the business school application process and specifically helped me determine my priorities for choosing a school. As part of the program, I spent a lot of time visiting campuses, interacting with current students, reflecting on my personal goals, writing strong essays, and going to admitted student weekends. I strongly suggest that any graduate school applicant go through the same due diligence.

I ultimately chose to attend Kellogg's JD-MBA program.
Accepting a place at Kellogg was not a hard decision given it's top ranking and premier resources. However, turning down other top schools was a bit more difficult. Upon reflection, there are a couple of specific reasons that helped me realize that Kellogg was the best fit for me.

Teamwork.
Having worked on a variety of project teams as a consultant, I've learned the distinct advantage of having a high-performing team. Kellogg pioneered the concept of teamwork in b-school. From being a student-driven culture, to rotating study groups, to a lopsided amount of team-based coursework, Kellogg and Northwestern law will best allow me to hone my teamwork skills.


Classmates:
Students at Northwestern are slightly older and amongst the most collegial, fun loving students at any school. This is true at both Kellogg and Northwestern Law, and I look forward to a really fun three years.

Marketing Orientation.
Unlike many Kellogg students, I don't plan to go into marketing after graduation. But I do believe that marketing/ sales is one of the most important functions in business. As such, Kellogg's strong marketing curriculum--from the world-renowned marketing curriculum to its annual marketing competition--will be a good fit for me.

Leadership Development. I believe that running a company is as much about influential leadership as it is about analysis and processes. I've had the fortunate experience of having worked with one or two really good leaders in addition to a lot of really bad ones, teaching me the importance of good leadership in business. Kellogg offers things like a 360 leadership assessment, a culture based on feedback, a great MORS major (and leadership minor), and countless ways to lead/organize as a part of the student body.


Negotiation Coursework. I am really interested academically in negotiations. Law school is generally a great way to get this exposure, and Northwestern Law is one of the best with the topic. Northwestern Law is also known for its practical coursework and its clinics, including a negotiations clinic. Kellogg also has a great negotiations curriculum. They have some of the best professors in the field who have written some of the best books in the field. At Kellogg, you can even get a minor in negotiations.

Consulting.
I have a background in human capital consulting and plan to pursue the management consulting field post-graduation. Kellogg is one of the best at sending students into the field, they even have the "Analytical Consulting" major specifically designed to enter the field.

JD-MBA Program. I will talk more about the specifics of the dual program in my next post, but attaining both degrees was definitely a huge factor in my school decision, probably the biggest, as my long-term professional interests are tied to both law and business. In m opinion, Northwestern far and away has the best and most integrated JD-MBA program.

At Northwestern, I know I can gain the skills and experiences to achieve my professional goals and continue on my leadership journey. I look forward to starting at Northwestern this fall.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home